Senior Business Intelligence Developer
Business intelligence as a discipline has evolved from the early days of big multi-month data warehousing projects to a much more agile and business-focused delivery, incorporating real-time BI, BI embedded within applications rather than as a standalone system, and self-service BI. This team has adopted all of these approaches for specific problems, and this role will be heavily focused on Tabular models delivered directly over source system data, standardising calculations to support developing data extracts using Excel, building print-ready reports using SSRS, creating interactive data visualisations using PowerBI, and also working with a custom visualisation framework built on top of D3.js to deliver bespoke solutions and visualisations not achievable using the traditional tools.
The current team is a group of 5 experienced and talented engineers, and this position, sixth senior team member, holds responsibility for several Data, Business Intelligence, Reporting and Visualisation projects, new and old, across the firm.
- Working with complex data sets, preferably with prior experience in a financial setting
- Proven design, delivery and deployment experience of end to end projects
- Experience in the Microsoft BI stack – SQL Server (2008R2-2016), Analysis Services/Tabular Models, PowerBI desktop and Reporting Services is essential.
- Report design and development, with a focus on user experience and style
- Exceptional SQL and data analysis skills, with the ability to transform data to feed models without an ETL layer is essential. Experience with ETL and data integration approaches is still helpful, and data federation and non-traditional data integration approaches would be a plus.
- Experience with PowerQuery with an eye to the integration with Analysis Services in the next version would be a plus
- Experience implementing and supporting Self-service BI tools such as Microsoft PowerBI/Excel (PowerPivot, PowerQuery)
- Data modelling, along with OLAP/Cube experience (DAX), with demonstrable capabilities in this area
- Exposure to automation tools (Control-M, Active Batch etc.) or Continuous Integration (Octopus, Chef, Puppet, etc.) would be useful but not required
- Knowledge of automation scripts such as Powershell would be highly advantageous
- Proper use of source control, notably Git
- Competitive daily rate or base salary
- Free breakfast/lunch/snacks/coffee shop, free gym and personal training
- Flat, meritocratic and collaborative culture
- A mix of new and existing projects with new technologies technology and platforms
- Exceptional support structure, several high-level "expert" team members.
- Full product and project ownership/SDLC
- Exquisite working environment
- Visa sponsorship is Not available